Comprehensive Gender-Affirming Surgical Care in Wisconsin
Dr. Katherine Gast, MD, MS is a fellowship-trained plastic surgeon who specializes in Gender Affirmation Surgery. Dr. Gast is an Assistant Professor at the University of Wisconsin and is the Department of Surgery Medical Director for the UW Health Comprehensive Gender Services Program. She performs gender-affirming procedures such as Vaginoplasty, Phalloplasty, and Top Surgery.
Education & Training
- MS, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI, 2009
- MD, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI, 2010
- Integrated Residency, Plastic Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2016
- Sub-specialty Fellowship in Gender Affirming Surgery and Microsurgical Breast Reconstruction, University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium, 2017
Dr. Gast’s research is focused on patient reported outcomes in gender-affirming surgery:
- Creation of Clitoral Hood and Labia Minora in Penile Inversion Vaginoplasty in Circumcised and Uncircumcised Transwomen.
- Female-to-Male Gender-Affirming Chest Reconstruction Surgery.
- Exclusion of Medically Necessary Gender-Affirming Surgery for America’s Armed Services Veterans.
- Clinicopathological findings in female-to-male gender-affirming breast surgery.
- Discussion: Surgical Outcome after Penile Inversion Vaginoplasty: A Retrospective Study of 475 Transgender Women.
Gender-Affirming Surgery in Wisconsin
- Top Surgery – Double Incision with Nipple Grafts, Peri-Areolar, Keyhole
- Phalloplasty: RFF, ALT, with Urethroplasty, Glansplasty, Penile Implant
- Scrotoplasty and Testicular Implants
- Body Masculinization
- Vaginoplasty – Penile Inversion with Clitoroplasty, Labiaplasty; Peritoneal Pull-Through Vaginoplasty.
- Vulvoplasty – aka Zero Depth Vaginoplasty
- Breast Augmentation
- Body Feminization
The UW Health Comprehensive Gender Services Program helps transgender, gender expansive and non-binary adults access and obtain the highest quality gender-affirming medical care. The team of medical providers includes physicians from Plastic Surgery as well as OB/GYN, Family Medicine, Endocrinology, Internal Medicine, Otolaryngology, Voice Therapy and Urology.
All staff in Dr. Gast’s office have received training in providing gender-affirming care.
Dr. Gast is a member of WPATH and follows WPATH guidelines for surgery:
- You will need to provide two referrals from qualified mental health professionals for genital procedures; one referral for other procedures unless otherwise specified by insurance.
- A letter from your hormone specialist stating you have been on 12 months of continuous hormones for genital procedures, unless clinically contraindicated.
Financing & Insurance
Dr. Gast accepts cash, credit cards and insurance, including but not limited to: Title 19, BadgerCare Plus, Wisconsin Medicaid, Medicare, private insurance.
Booking a Consultation
Dr. Gast is available for in-person and phone consultations.