One of the Most Experienced Gender Surgeons in the World
Dr. Christopher Salgado, MD is a board-certified plastic surgeon with deep expertise in gender-affirming procedures. In practice for more than 20 years, Dr. Salgado performs all aspects of transgender surgeries, from Facial Feminization and Top Surgery, to complex genital procedures such as Vaginoplasty and Phalloplasty. He is specifically committed to providing trans surgical care—more than 3/4 of his patients are transgender—and is dedicated to acquiring insurance coverage for his patients. Dr. Salgado’s comprehensive knowledge and passion to serve are available to guide you through your surgical journey with utmost care.
“The transgender patient has become my focus and has brought me the most gratifying experiences surgically, emotionally and personally. I will continue to find strength in the care of this very special group of strong, determined individuals.” – Christopher J. Salgado, MD.
Dr. Salgado is a graduate of Boston University where he obtained a Bachelors in Anatomy and Physiology. He completed medical school at Georgetown University in Washington D.C., where he remained for General Surgery training. He then went on to the University of Rochester in New York for Plastic Surgery training, followed by a year in Taiwan where he completed a fellowship in Microsurgery. He served in the U.S. Army for four years as a reconstructive surgeon and then remained in academic practice for many years before launching his private practice in Miami, Constructive Surgery.
Dr. Salgado is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. He is an active researcher who has authored over 120 peer-reviewed scientific articles. Dr. Salgado is on the editorial board of the Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery and is a reviewer for Seminars in Plastic Surgery among others. He has edited three books, including the essential Gender Affirmation: Medical and Surgical Perspectives, published by Thieme in 2017. He has presented many times at WPATH, EPATH and ASPS conferences and has been featured in top news outlets around the world, including CNN, Channel 7 News, The Miami Herald, NBC 6 and Univision.
- Evaluation of BMI as a Risk Factor for Complications following Gender-affirming Penile Inversion Vaginoplasty
Graham C. Ives, Lydia A. Fein, Lindsey Finch, Emily C. Sluiter, Megan Lane, William M. Kuzon, Christopher J. Salgado. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2019 Mar; 7(3): e2097.
- Primary Sigmoid Vaginoplasty in Transwomen: Technique and Outcomes
Christopher J. Salgado, Ajani Nugent, Joseph Kuhn, Meghan Janette, Heidi Bahna. Biomed Res Int. 2018; 2018: 4907208.
- Prelamination of Neourethra with Uterine Mucosa in Radial Forearm Osteocutaneous Free Flap Phalloplasty in the Female-to-Male Transgender Patient
Christopher J. Salgado, Lydia A. Fein, Jimmy Chim, Carlos A. Medina, Stephanie Demaso, Christopher Gomez. Case Rep Urol. 2016; 2016: 8742531.
- Gender Dysphoria: The Role of Sex Reassignment Surgery
Miroslav L. Djordjevic, Christopher J. Salgado, Marta Bizic, Franklin Emmanuel Kuehhas. Scientific World Journal. 2014; 2014: 645109.
Dr. Salgado offers the following gender-affirming procedures:
- Top Surgery – Double Incision, Peri-Areolar, Keyhole, Inverted-T, Buttonhole
- Mons Resection
- Phalloplasty: RFF, ALT, MLD, Fibula
- Scrotoplasty – Single Sac (labial rotation)
- Testicular Implants – Silicone or Saline Filled
- Penile Implant – Semi-rigid, 2-Piece Inflatable or 3-Piece Inflatable
- Body Masculinization
- Facial Masculinization
- Facial Feminization Surgery: Hairline Correction, Forehead Recontouring, Brow Lift, Rhinoplasty, Cheek Implants, Lip Lift, Chin Recontouring, Jaw Recontouring, Tracheal Shave
- Vaginoplasty – Penile Inversion or Sigmoid Colon
- Trans Urology (MTF) – Revisions & Repairs
- Breast Augmentation
- Buttock Augmentation
- Body Feminization
Dr. Salgado is affiliated with Palmetto General Hospital and Coral Gables Hospital, in Miami, Florida. Out-patient surgeries take place at Sky Surgery Center in Miami.
As a 63 year old trans woman, I was convinced I wouldn’t be able to find a doctor who would be able to address my concerns about transitioning late in life. From my first consultation to my recent transitional surgery, Dr. Salgado has proven himself to be an exemplary medical practitioner! I couldn’t be more pleased with the outcome! Dr. Salgado and his brilliant staff went out of their way to make me feel confident that my Vaginoplasty procedure would be successful. I can’t thank Dr. Salgado and his staff enough for making my dream of a lifetime come true. – Christina S. (Source: vitals.com)
Exact pricing can only be determined following a consultation. Costs vary depending on the facility where your surgery is to be performed, length of the procedure and co-morbidities, if any. Pricing includes surgeon’s fee, OR/anesthesia fee and facility fee. Dr. Salgado accepts cash, credit card, check, medical financing (ex. CareCredit), insurance and Medicare.
Coming from out-of-state? Be sure to ask Dr. Salgado’s staff about special rates for patients at Miami hotels.
Dr. Salgado’s office staff will work on insurance authorization on your behalf. Dr. Salgado accepts Blue Cross Blue Shield, Florida Blue, United Healthcare, Cigna, Aetna, Molina, AvMed and Medicare.
- One support letter from a qualified mental health professional for Top Surgery; Two letters for bottom surgery.
- Medical clearance if there are significant co-morbidities.
- Because Dr. Salgado works in a large hospital, he is able to accept patients with high BMI and co-morbidities. Ideal BMI is <40.
- Smoking cessation for 4 weeks prior to surgery.
- Vaginoplasty patients must stop hormones 4 weeks prior to surgery.
Booking a Consultation
Dr. Salgado offers virtual and in-person consultations for a fee of $200. The wait time for a consult is 2 months, with surgery dates booked 4-8 months after consultation. Dr. Salgado’s staff has completed comprehensive training in transgender health care and follow WPATH guidelines for patient care. Dr. Salgado and his team are dedicated to serve your needs from the beginning of your surgical journey through to completion. Se habla español. Falando português.