Accomplished and Impeccably Trained Gender Surgeon In San Francisco
Dr. Ellie Zara Ley, MD is an accomplished board-certified plastic surgeon who had more than 15 years of specialized training in plastic, craniofacial and micro surgery before learning the art of Gender Confirmation Surgery. Dr. Ley’s multiple plastic surgery sub-specialty fellowships and gentle manner allow her to provide superb surgical care for transgender and non-binary patients. Dr. Ley has joined Dr. Scott Mosser‘s Gender Confirmation Center in San Francisco, where she will begin seeing patients in March 2022.
Dr. Ley grew up wanting to be a doctor. After completing undergraduate work in the U.S., she completed medical school in Mexico and immigrated to the U.S. She worked at New York Medical College in Valhalla, NY and in the general surgery program at the University of Arizona. Fellowship training followed: pediatric craniofacial plastic surgery at Primary Children’s Medical Center in Salt Lake City; hand and microsurgery at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles; and plastic and reconstructive surgery at the University of Utah, Salt Lake City.
Dr. Ley became an assistant clinical instructor at the University of Utah and was concurrently developing a professional interest in gender surgery, researching techniques used by surgeons in Thailand. Dr. Ley had an ideal combination of skills for transgender surgery: trained in craniofacial, hand and microsurgery. She returned to Arizona to open the Ley Institute of Plastic & Hand Surgery and the Arizona Craniofacial & Pediatric Plastic Surgery. She also did work in Nogales, Sonora for the border community.
Dr. Ley transitioned in 2015 and had her surgeries performed by Dr. Toby Meltzer. She subsequently completed one year of training in Gender Surgery with Dr. Meltzer.
“I highly recommend that anyone searching for a gender reassignment surgeon consult with Dr. Ellie Zara Ley. I cannot say enough positive comments about my personal experience with her and her commitment to quality healthcare and gender reassignment surgery. I think it helps that she is an out trans woman who “gets it” and who cares about trans men and our success with surgery.” — Phalloplasty patient
Dr. Ley is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a member of WPATH.
Gender Affirming Surgery in San Francisco
- Top Surgery – Double Incision with Nipple Grafts, Peri-Areolar
- Metoidioplasty: Simple or Full with Urethroplasty
- Mons Resection
- Phalloplasty: Groin Flap, RFF and ALT, with Urethroplasty, Glansplasty, Penile Implant
- Scrotoplasty, Scrotal Tissue Expansion and Testicular Implants
- Facial Masculinization
- Facial Feminization Surgery: Hairline Correction, Forehead Recontouring, Brow Lift, Rhinoplasty, Cheek Implants, Lip Lift, Chin Recontouring, Jaw Recontouring, Tracheal Shave
- Vaginoplasty – Penile Inversion with Clitoroplasty, Labiaplasty
- Breast Augmentation
- Buttock Augmentation
- Body Feminization
Exact pricing can only be determined following a consultation.
Dr. Ley follows WPATH guidelines for surgery:
- For genital procedures, you will need to provide two referrals from qualified mental health professionals as well as a letter from your hormone specialist stating you have been on 12 months of continuous hormones, unless clinically contraindicated.
- For non-genital procedures, Dr. Ley operates on informed consent and doesn’t require referral letters. If you are using insurance, the insurance company will require letters.
Financing & Insurance
Dr. Ley accepts cash, credit cards and medical financing. She also accepts insurance for most procedures. The Gender Confirmation Center is currently accepting insurance from the following companies:
- Anthem BC (Anthem Blue Cross)
- Blue Shield
- Blue Cross
- Aetna (Student Services for University of California System)
- United Health Care
- Brown & Toland HMO
- Health Net
- Health Plan of San Joaquin
- Hill Physicians IPA
- Mercy Medical Group
- Meritage IPA (“WHA Medical Groups”)
- Northbay Medical Group
- Western Health Advantage (“WHA”)
- UC Davis Medical Group
If your insurance company is not listed here, don’t worry–Dr. Ley may still be able to get your surgery covered. While Dr. Ley is not a Medicaid provider, one-time letters of agreement with California Medi-cal (managed plans only) can be arranged. Please contact her office for more information.
Dr. Ley also accepts CareCredit, a type of medical financing that works much like a credit card. If you decide to sign up for a CareCredit credit card we offer 6 months no interest.
Booking a Consultation
Dr. Ley offers FREE in-person and virtual consultations. Dr. Ley has a kind and gentle demeanor and will make you feel at ease right away. Her current wait list for a surgery date is 6 months for feminizing procedures and two years for microsurgical Phalloplasty.