Accomplished and Impeccably Trained Gender Surgeon Serving Patients in Arizona and Oregon
Dr. Ellie Zara Ley, MD is an accomplished board-certified plastic surgeon who had more than 15 years of specialized training in plastic, craniofacial and micro surgery before learning the art of Gender Confirmation Surgery under the tutelage of the globally recognized leader in the field, Dr. Toby Meltzer. Dr. Ley’s multiple plastic surgery sub-specialty fellowships and gentle manner allow her to provide superb surgical care for transgender and non-binary patients. Dr. Ley offers the full spectrum of FTM and MTF surgery procedures in both Scottsdale, Arizona and Portland, Oregon.
Dr. Ley grew up wanting to be a doctor. After completing undergraduate work in the U.S., she completed medical school in Mexico and immigrated to the U.S. She worked at New York Medical College in Valhalla, NY and in the general surgery program at the University of Arizona. Fellowship training followed: pediatric craniofacial plastic surgery at Primary Children’s Medical Center in Salt Lake City; hand and microsurgery at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles; and plastic and reconstructive surgery at the University of Utah, Salt Lake City.
Dr. Ley became an assistant clinical instructor at the University of Utah and was concurrently developing a professional interest in gender surgery, researching techniques used by surgeons in Thailand. Like Dr. Meltzer, Dr. Ley had an ideal combination of skills for transgender surgery: trained in craniofacial, hand and microsurgery. She returned to Arizona to open the Ley Institute of Plastic & Hand Surgery and the Arizona Craniofacial & Pediatric Plastic Surgery. She also did work in Nogales, Sonora for the border community.
In 2015, Dr. Ley transitioned and had surgery with Dr. Meltzer. Impressed with her credentials and demeanor, Dr. Meltzer later invited Dr. Ley to join The Meltzer Clinic. Dr. Ley moved to Scottsdale and started shadowing Dr. Meltzer’s surgeries to learn his techniques. She now performs all the same procedures as Dr. Meltzer and with her microsurgical expertise, The Meltzer Clinic is pleased to offer microsurgical Phalloplasty again.
“I highly recommend that anyone searching for a gender reassignment surgeon consult with Dr. Ellie Zara Ley of The Meltzer Clinic in Scottsdale, AZ. I cannot say enough positive comments about my personal experience with her and her commitment to quality healthcare and gender reassignment surgery. I think it helps that she is an out trans woman who “gets it” and who cares about trans men and our success with surgery. The Greenbaum Surgery Center staff and The Meltzer Clinic staff have been responsive and timely in their follow up and aftercare.” — Phalloplasty patient
Dr. Ley is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a member of WPATH.
Gender Reassignment Surgery in Scottsdale & Portland
- Facial Feminization Surgery: Hairline Correction, Forehead Recontouring, Brow Lift, Rhinoplasty, Cheek Implants, Lip Lift, Chin Recontouring, Jaw Recontouring, Tracheal Shave
- Vaginoplasty – Penile Inversion with Clitoroplasty, Labiaplasty
- Breast Augmentation
- Buttock Augmentation
- Body Feminization
- Top Surgery – Double Incision with Nipple Grafts, Peri-Areolar
- Metoidioplasty: Simple or Full
- Mons Resection
- Phalloplasty: Groin Flap, RFF, Combined Groin + RFF, with Urethroplasty, Glansplasty, Penile Implant
- Scrotoplasty and Testicular Implants
- Facial Masculinization
- Dr. Ley coordinates with a team for FTM Bottom Surgery, which includes a Urologist, and a Gynecologist, Dr. Burt Webb, for Vaginectomy and Hysterectomy.
Exact pricing can only be determined following a consultation.
Dr. Ley follows WPATH guidelines for surgery:
- You will need to provide two referrals from qualified mental health professionals for genital procedures; one referral for other procedures unless otherwise specified by insurance.
- A letter from your hormone specialist stating you have been on 12 months of continuous hormones for genital procedures, unless clinically contraindicated.
- Dr. Ley will operate on minors with parental consent.
Financing & Insurance
Dr. Ley accepts cash, credit cards and medical financing. She also accepts insurance. The Meltzer Clinic contracts with Kaiser and has also worked successfully with BCBS, UHC, Aetna, Cigna and Harvard Pilgrim. Medicaid (Apple Health) is also accepted.
Booking a Consultation
Dr. Ley is available for in-person consultations in either Scottsdale or Portland for a fee of $100. Dr. Ley has a kind and gentle demeanor and will make you feel at ease right away. Her current waitlist for a surgery date is 6 months for MTF procedures and 2 years for microsurgical Phalloplasty.