Reconstructive Urologist Specializing in Transmasculine Bottom Surgery
Dr. Mang Chen, MD is a highly experienced Reconstructive Urologist in San Francisco who specializes in bottom surgery procedures for transmasculine individuals. He has performed hundreds of Phalloplasty, Metoidioplasty and related procedures, and has deep expertise in urological repair surgeries.
Dr. Chen obtained his medical degree from the University of Pittsburgh, where he stayed on to complete his general surgery and urology training. He subsequently completed a fellowship in urologic trauma and reconstruction, then returned to the University of Pittsburgh for three years to join the faculty as an assistant professor of reconstructive urology. Dr. Chen then moved to California to specialize in genitourinary surgeries.
Dr. Chen is board-certified by the American Board of Urology and is a member of multiple surgical associations and societies, including the American Urological Association, the Society of Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgeons, the American Society of Gender Surgeons and the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH).
Dr. Chen performs the following Gender Affirming Surgery procedures:
- Phalloplasty – Radial Forearm Flap (RFF) & Anterolateral Thigh (ALT)
- Urethral Lengthening
- Penile Implant Surgery (Semi-rigid, 2-piece inflatable)
- Metoidioplasty (Simple Release, Full Meta)
- Scrotoplasty & insertion of Testicular implants
- Reconstructive Urology: Repair surgeries for fistulas and strictures.
Dr. Chen is widely published in academic journals and has co-authored numerous papers on the subjects of Reconstructive Urology, Phalloplasty and Metoidioplasty, including:
- Single-Stage Phalloplasty. (2019)
- Overview of surgical techniques in gender-affirming genital surgery. (2019)
- Outcomes of Single Stage Phalloplasty by Pedicled Anterolateral Thigh Flap versus Radial Forearm Free Flap in Gender Confirming Surgery. (2018)
- An overview of female-to-male gender-confirming surgery. (2017)
- Phalloplasty with Urethral Lengthening: Addition of a Vascularized Bulbospongiosus Flap from Vaginectomy Reduces Postoperative Urethral Complications. (2017)
Dr. Chen’s expertise in penile and testicular prosthetics is sought after by medical device companies looking for ways to develop new and improved implants and implantation techniques. He is also highly sought after as a surgical educator, hosting urologists and plastic surgeons from around the world who are interested in learning transgender urology procedures.
Dr. Chen is affiliated with California Pacific Medical Center, the largest medical center and flagship hospital of the Northern California-based Sutter Health system.
Dr. Chen follows WPATH guidelines for surgery:
- You will need to provide two referrals from qualified mental health professionals.
- A letter from your hormone specialist stating you have been on 12 months of continuous hormones, unless clinically contraindicated.
Per hospital policy, patients must be 18 years of age or older.
Financing & Insurance
Dr. Chen accepts insurance from a wide number of insurance companies, including Blue Shield, Blue Cross Blue Shield, United Healthcare, Cigna, Kaiser and Health Net, as well as Medicaid (Medi-Cal). A cash pay rate can also be requested.
Booking a Consultation
Dr. Chen is available for phone and in-person consultations for a fee of $250. Contact his office to book your consultation.
Current wait list: 12 months.