Fellowship-Trained Gender Surgeon In Portland
Dr. Nick Esmonde, MD, MPH is a plastic surgeon in Portland, Oregon who has extensive knowledge about Gender Affirmation Surgery and works almost exclusively with transgender and non-binary patients. During his plastic surgery residency, Dr. Esmonde worked in the Transgender Health Program at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU). He subsequently completed a Gender Surgery Fellowship with Dr. Toby Meltzer and Dr. Ellie Zara Ley. Beginning in June 2021, Dr. Esmonde will serve as a full-time Associate Surgeon with The Meltzer Clinic offering the full spectrum of gender-affirming procedures.
Dr. Esmonde earned his Bachelor of Science at the University of Oregon. He obtained Master of Public Health and Doctor of Medicine degrees at OHSU. Dr. Esmonde completed an internship in plastic and general surgery followed by a plastic surgery residency at OHSU. During his residency, Dr. Esmonde worked closely with Dr. Jens Berli, Director of the Gender Surgery Fellowship program at OHSU, gaining significant experience in Gender Affirming Surgery and co-authoring a number of important studies. Dr. Esmonde is a member of WPATH.
Dr. Esmonde operates at Legacy Good Samaritan in Portland as well as Greenbaum Surgical Specialty Hospital in Scottsdale, Arizona. He is affiliated with the Legacy Health and HonorHealth hospital systems.
Dr. Esmonde performs almost all gender-affirming procedures, including Vaginoplasty, Top Surgery and Phalloplasty in Portland.
Gender Surgery in Portland
- Facial Feminization Surgery: Hairline Correction, Forehead Recontouring, Brow Lift, Rhinoplasty, Cheek Implants, Lip Lift, Chin Recontouring, Jaw Recontouring, Tracheal Shave
- Vaginoplasty – 2-Stage Penile Inversion. 1st Stage: vaginal canal, labia majora, clitoris creation. 2nd Stage: labia minora, clitoral hood, and urethral or introitus revisions, if needed.
- Breast Augmentation
- Buttock Augmentation
- Body Feminization
- Top Surgery – Double Incision with Nipple Grafts, Peri-Areolar
- Metoidioplasty: Simple or Full
- Mons Resection
- Phalloplasty: Groin Flap, RFF, Combined Groin + RFF, ALT, with Urethroplasty, Glansplasty, Penile Implant
- Scrotoplasty and Testicular Implants
- Facial Masculinization
Also available: Scrotal blocks for patients who are undergoing electrolysis prior to Vaginoplasty. These injections will numb areas up to three hours, allowing a longer duration of an electrolysis session with greater clearance of hair. The result is less pain and fewer overall number of sessions.
Exact pricing can only be determined following a consultation. The estimates below are out-of-pocket prices (for those not using insurance.) Pricing is all inclusive.
|Top Surgery: Double Incision with Nipple Grafts, Peri-Areolar||$10,000 +|
|Phalloplasty: Groin Flap, RFF, Combined Groin + RFF||$30,000 +|
|Vaginoplasty: Penile Inversion||$24,000|
Dr. Esmonde follows WPATH guidelines for surgery:
- You will need to provide two referrals from qualified mental health professionals for genital procedures; one referral for other procedures unless otherwise specified by insurance.
- For genital procedures, one of your referral letters needs to include the length of time that you have been on hormone therapy, unless clinically contraindicated.
- Smoking cessation.
- Dr. Esmonde will operate on minors with parental consent.
Financing & Insurance
Dr. Esmonde accepts cash, credit cards, medical financing and insurance. The Meltzer Clinic contracts with Kaiser Washington and PacificSource and has also worked successfully with BCBS and Washington Medicaid (Apple Health). Single case agreements with other insurance companies can also be setup on a case-by-case basis.
Booking a Consultation
Dr. Esmonde is available for in-person and telehealth consultations in Portland for a fee of $100. Dr. Esmonde is kind and down-to-earth and will make you feel at ease right away.